Safely remove asbestos materials from external areas of seven buildings at the base and install new products and finishes.
HMAS Stirling, also known as Fleet Base West is the Royal Australian Navy’s (RAN) base located on Garden Island, approximately 35 kilometres south of Perth. It provides operational and logistical support to the RAN surface fleet, submarines and aircraft stationed in WA.
The scope of works included:
- Encapsulation of structure including air monitoring.
- Removal and disposal of asbestos.
- Installation and joint sealing of new Alucobond fascia panels.
- Installation of new fibre cement eaves linings, cement wall lining and plasterboard ceiling.
- Painting of all new eaves linings, wall linings and ceilings.
- The main buildings remediated were the naval stores buildings which had to remain operational during the works.
- Following removal of the existing cladding extensive remediation was required to the sub frame prior to the installation of the new cladding.
- Strong lines of communication and a rigid testing regime was required to satisfy the stakeholders.
- The works were undertaken during winter therefore the water tightness of the building had to be maintained throughout the duration of the works.
- Asbestos & Lead Paint Removal
- Cladding Replacement