Duratec Australia was awarded the Bunbury Port Authority contract to carry out concrete works and fender replacements.
The project involved dolphin strengthening and stabilisation in which a manufactured steel box and sleeve was installed into core drilled holes through the concrete dolphin. The sleeve houses the tensioned steel wire which is attached to the seabed.
The second phase was the removal of the existing fenders and the installation of new fenders. This was achieved with the help of a 400 tonne landbased crane with a reach of 70 metres.
- Challenges included working in a sensitive marine environment, tidal changes and accommodation of shipping movements.
- The removal of the existing fenders and installation of the new fenders included considerable barge work and shore based crane lifts.
- The work also involved the precision fabrication and coating to new anchor sleeves and boxes which will be installed at four locations on each dolphin. These will be recessed into each concrete dolphin via 350 mm diamond core holes and saw cut and excavated rebates.
- Specialist Civil Services
- Fender Repairs & Upgrades