HMAS Coonawarra is a Royal Australian Navy (RAN) base located in Darwin, Northern Territory, and is home to 12 fleet units of the RAN.
Duratec was engaged by DDR Indigenous Contractors to perform the following scope of works at Attack Wharf and Fremantle Wharf:
- Structural steel repair works.
- Ultra-high water blasting works.
- Protective coating works.
- Marine growth removal.
- Concrete jacketed pile repair works.
- Lead paint removal.
- Fabrication of new staircases.
The works will ensure the ongoing capability of accommodating Australia’s fleet of Armidale-class patrol boats well into the future.
- Works completed in 6 stages. HOTO for each stage to be fully signed off prior to commencing works on the next stage.
- Wharves to remain operational throughout duration of the project.
- Flexibility required to change work stages based on Defence requirements at short notice.
Working around live Defence training and refuelling operations.
- Environmentally critical project with no solid waste of any kind to be deposited into the harbour.
Working with the challenges of Darwin’s 8m tides.
- Utilising local steel fabricators to supply and install new stairways.
- Continual monitoring of air and water quality to ensure blast and paint operations don’t have any negative impact on base operations and health of base personnel.
- Abrasive Blasting & Painting
- Asbestos & Lead Paint Removal
- Pile Cleaning & Protection