Queensland Sugar Limited (QSL) is one of the largest and most efficient bulk sugar terminal operators in the world. The Cairns bulk terminal was established in 1963, with a storage capacity of around 250,000 tonnes of raw sugar.
Duratec was contracted by QSL to undertake concrete repairs to concrete wharf piles and piles supporting the terminal shed.
The scope included:
- A comprehensive survey by hammer tapping to identify all defective concrete.
- Removal of deteriorated concrete cover to expose all corroded steel reinforcing.
- Clean of steel surface and application of zinc rich primer.
- Installation of sacrificial anodes.
- Reinstate concrete cover.
- Application of polyurea coating system to mooring dolphin.
- Access to wharf piles was carried out by a combination of marine vessel and work barge.
- Application of polyurea coating to dolphin over water with no environmental incidents.
- Concrete Repair