Duratec was engaged by Brookfield Johnson Controls to remediate corrosion issues on level 3 roof canopy at this 52 storey commercial tower in Perth’s CBD.
Box gutters had not been installed during the original construction period and this had caused corrosion of the steel box beam and water leaks in the foyer. The inadequate falls to drainage on the beam allowed water to pond rather than discharge towards drainage points. Protective coatings had also failed over time due to exposure to weathering and the ponding of rain water.
Duratec’s scope of works included:
- Removal of the existing box beam coating and loose corroded material.
- Application of protective coating system to the box beam.
- Installation of new angles and marine grade plywood to provide fall.
- Installation of new Colourbond box gutters and flashing.
- Replacement of corroded gutters with new steel welded in situ.
- Touch ups as required on the steel box gutters in the foyer.
- Inspection and protective coatings were completed in the foyer over consecutive weekends to avoid interrupting the building’s operations.
- Challenging operational environment inside foyer with weight restrictions and pedestrian traffic management.
- As a result of Duratec’s remediation works the life of the building has been extended and importantly the correct rainwater collection and drainage system has now been installed.
- Facade Refurbishments