Yandicoogina is an iron ore mine located in the Pilbara region of WA, 95km north-west of Newman.
Duratec was engaged to complete corrosion repairs to a reclaimer at Yandicoogina during a scheduled shutdown.The scope of works included corrosion removal, parent metal repairs and the application of protective coatings in fully encapsulated work zones:
- High pressure water blast of structure to remove iron ore from steel surface.
- Abrasive blast of structural steel on head end primary structure of reclaimer, areas of slew drive and bracing connections.
- Liaised with Rio Tinto engineer to determine which areas required immediate structural strengthening.
- Carried out parent metal repairs on designated areas.
- Striped in initial coat of surface tolerant epoxy.
- Spray applied initial coat of surface tolerant epoxy at 250 DFT and allowed to cure.
- Spray applied second and final coat of surface tolerant epoxy to a total DFT of 500 μm.
- Despite the inclement weather (during which work came to a halt), Duratec successfully completed the project on time and under budget ensuring no unscheduled downtime for our client.
- Abrasive Blasting & Painting
- High Performance Coatings