The 13 storey Western Power building in Perth’s CBD required repairs to the western and northern facades.
The results of Duratec’s condition assessment by rope access identified that the facade had deteriorated significantly over time as a result of poor construction methodology and environmental factors. This had caused horizontal cracking of the masonry brickwork and render, resulting in damage due to water ingress. To rectify these issues Duratec:
- Installed ResiTies to brickwork.
- Installed expansion joints above and below concrete slab.
- Repaired marble crete render.
- Applied elastomeric acrylic membrane waterproof coatings.
After the successful completion of the western facade, Duratec was engaged to carry out a survey of the northern facade and subsequently implemented the following scope of works:
- Recoating of the roof parapet steel beam.
- Concrete and render repairs.
- Installation of retention cleats to sunhoods on levels 1 to 5.
- Application of a 3 coat elastomeric finish.
- The works were carried out using a mast climber fixed to the northern façade. This façade was completed in 2 stages necessitating the dismantling and re-erection of the mast-climber halfway through the works, a challenging task in a busy inner-city street environment.
- It was essential to maintain continuous liaison with the City of Perth and local authorities to ensure the works ran safely and smoothly without affecting the public.
- The building remained fully operational for Western Power staff and visitors throughout the works.
- Facade Refurbishments
- Concrete Repair
- Joint Sealing